Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Tanjore Dolls

"Nothing haunt us like the things we don't buy"

June 2014, when in Hyderabad, Aks took me to Lepakshi, a government shop with handicrafts. It was love at first sight.
An array of colorful, vibrant, dancing dolls made of terracotta. I fell in love with them. But by then I have already shopped a lot and did not have courage to carry those fragile dolls back to Pune on my own.





BUT. But, I could not forget them and would live with regret of not buying it when I was so close to it.
I looked for them online but no luck. As the luck may have it, Aks announced her plan to come to Pune.
Voila! I pleaded her to get it for me. She knew which one I liked most. She got it for me and gifted me. So sweet of her.

This doll holds a special place in my heart and in my home. One of the best things in my collection. Its placed at the top of the computer table, right in front of the entrance. It stands with its chin in the air and through around its weight. Blow a kiss to it and it will dance. :)
The exterior of the doll is giant and face is a mask. She balances all these on a very thin support! What a piece of art! Love you, my NathuLal.

View from the entrance of the home
NathuLal

Disintegration



Off guards



Happy House-Keeping
!anu

1 comment: